Monday, March 29, 2010

Didn't want to MISS it...


I was driving like a maniac worried I would miss it... the birth of my new niece making her debut 12 weeks early... it was Déjà vu all over again.. except I was on the other side of it... the side of the unknown.. waiting... wondering... praying.. hoping...... desperately praying for some miracle as we were told only days before with Alicia in the hospital that Ryenne had a 50% chance that she would not make it...given the option to go home and let nature take it course...with the fear that the shape of her uterus the doctors would have to perform a bi-lateral C-section which would put Alicia at risk with any future pregnancies of uteran abruption, death of baby and possibly mom... the decision made to take all necessary steps to save this little precious miracle we had not even met yet but could not help but feel that she was here... sent to us..to her parents... for some reason... for a lifetime. Not to go home and let "nature take its course"... did she surprise us all.. born at 28 weeks weighing 1 lb 12 oz and 12 inches long... the first thing that came to my mind was a ruler... she was the length of a ruler.... and she was fighting hard!

1 comment:

Tiffini said...

I was born at 26 weeks, weighing 1 lb 13 oz, 14 inches long. I've seen pictures of other preemies my size next dollar bills. It's shocking to see how very small I was!

Now that I am a mother of three, I never pass 26 weeks of pregnancy without pondering what that must have been like. I definitely see my mom in new eyes. What courage it must have taken in order to endure something so scary and heart-wrenchering!

 

Blog Design By Lindsey Joy Design © All Rights Reserved.